The Capuchins came to Adelaide for the express purpose of ministering to the newly arrived Italian migrants. In 1962 they were asked by the Archbishop of Adelaide, Dr Matthew Beovich, to extend their mission by forming a Parish in the eastern suburb of Campbelltown (later renamed Newton). With the formation of the Parish came the building and opening of the Parish School. The Parish Church was rebuilt and finally consecrated in 1985.
Saint Padre Pio of Pietrelcina
Capuchin Catholic Priest from Italy, May 25, 1887 – September 23, 1968, born Francesco Forgione was given the name Pio when he joined the Capuchins, he was canonized by Pope John Paul II on 16 June 2002.